Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Calsci screen, med or High?  (Read 11282 times)

Offline coldrider

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bradford,Ontario
Re: Calsci screen, med or High?
« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »
True, I believe the ideal position for the top of the screen is at the level of your nose.  Anyway, after some recent suspension changes I ended up with the same minor turbulence issue as you with a Calsci medium on my Mk1 and just pushed the top of the screen forward (and up a little) with more tap washers to get back to normal.  Worked for me.

Offline bordersmike

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Silver Mk1 GT
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »
Biker Mike, if you visit the CalSci website, they explain how to calculate your optimum screen height and - as far as I can see - you should then be able to apply that to any screen that is set at the same angle as the original.

Offline Tippy

• CBF Master
  • Born to fall over
  • Bike: CBF1000FAA
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #12 on: 17 August, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
Tippy, what's the typical distance between the centre of your visor and the top edge of the screen please?
I'm finding I still get a little turbulence at higher speeds unless I lean forward or slouch.
Just wondering if I need to tilt the screen back a gnats whisker...
Mike

Mike, it's about 21". Keep in mind that I have 2" barbacks, but short arms. What is your measure?

FYI, the more I ride with the new Calsci, the better I can judge its performance. On the second position, it is very calm up to about 100 kph. From 100 to 125, I can detect a slight bit of buffeting - not enough to cause me to shorten a 3 hour ride, but I do find myself ducking down a bit. From 130 - 150, we have the sweet spot - no buffeting. I am contemplating throwing an X-screen spoiler on the beta, level with the top of the shield (not to add height to the shield), to see if it adds to the laminar flow and maybe reduce the buffeting even more.  Would be an interesting experiment. If it doesn't help, I'll throw the MRA on my Bonneville screen.

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
I must have my set up all totally wrong. I am 6'2, have the seat in th middle position and from what I gather , the screen (standard) is at  its lowest. I do a lot of Highway riding and in Australia....that is in wide open space. I gt buffeting like you would not believe and the wind noise is deafening!!!!
So what's the go.

Cold rider...are you using the Calsi as well? I was thinking of going to Melb at the site you pointed out to me and get then to custom make me a screen....What's your view?
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline coldrider

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Bradford,Ontario
« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
Hi Sunset Rider, yes I have the medium Calsci on a Mk1.  It's set at the highest position while the seat is at the lowest.  I also tried the MRA Vario which made a dramatic improvement over the standard screen, but the Calsci is even better.   With both screens I had to do a little fiddling with house tap washers and longer bolts to push the screen out from the nose fairing and tilt it further forward slightly to fine tune their effect.   Given all the science (and some black magic) involved in screen design I'd be tempted to go with a proven product than have a one-off custom screen made that may still need a lot of major trial and error adjustments.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #15 on: 18 August, 2012, 03:45:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tippy [+]
Mike, it's about 21". Keep in mind that I have 2" barbacks, but short arms. What is your measure?
I measured the same distance as you Tippy.
As for your proposed experiment with the MRA foil, I had a similar idea but decided not to pursue it because I'd effectively be looking through 4 layers - glasses, visor, CalSci and foil.
When you say second position, I'm assuming next down from the highest?
I'll continue experimenting with the CalSci at different heights - just to identify this sweet spot you've found.
Incidentally, I believe the MRA vario would give you more of a laminar effect than the X-creen, mainly due to the mounts.
Mike

Offline Tippy

• CBF Master
  • Born to fall over
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2012, 04:53:34 AM »
Mike, second position: one notch up from bottom.

I would like to try the MRA vario instead of the xscreen, but did not see it offered as foil only. Is it available? I wouldn't plan on looking through the shield or the MRA.

Offline bordersmike

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Silver Mk1 GT
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »
MRA vario foil is available on its own, either in a version that screw-mounts onto the main screen or with brackets that clamp onto the main screen avoiding the need to drill holes in it. These are available from MRA as a separate item but I seem to recall that the foil plus clamping brackets is very expensive. Like others, I too question whether modifying the CalSci screen is a good idea. They claim to be offering the best solution and I think they would have added their own variable foil if they thought it would help. On the other hand, they can only offer so many screen heights and I guess each one can only be a perfect fit for one size of rider (the medium seems to be the perfect size for me).

Offline Tippy

• CBF Master
  • Born to fall over
« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the info on the Vario foil. Due to my short stature I've modified some aspect of every bike I've owned, and most bikes I've modified many aspects (including the CBF) in order to get them to fit or improve comfort. So I'm game to try just about anything - in this case I do have the beta version of the Calsci to fiddle with without having to be too concerned about the outcome. In any event, the Calsci is a pretty fine shield without any fiddling.

Offline java

• CBF Master
  • Aka: Cub/Can in YYZ
  • Bike: Red 09 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Abu Dhabi
« Reply #19 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »
Hi All.

I have a large Calsci screen  in my 09 CBF1000A for almost two years and more than 15 000 kms on it.

Agree that the stock screen looks sexy on the bike, but it's not practical. With the Calsci I practically ride without wind noise or buffering and the only time when I will get some wind noise, is with cross winds. Otherwise the Calsci windshield is one of the most comfortable additions that I had make to my CBF and I very happy with it.
 :152: :152:
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window