Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lithium Iron Battery Installation DIY Article  (Read 6373 times)

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
Lithium Iron Battery Installation DIY Article
« on: 29 July, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »
Would you like to get 1% higher accelleration, better crancking capability and 60% more capacity from the battery on your Biffer plus further benefits?

Then replace the heavy, huge and worn out lead battery with a lithium iron battery as described in this DIY article: http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/cbf1000battery/mc034.htm

This has also been done by other members on this forum as you can see in this excellent post by bross: https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,11112.msg141991.html#msg141991

On the image below you can see the difference in size, but what you don't see is the HUGE DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT! It is 2.4 kg lighter than the original lead-acid type!

As always - please provide feedback about the DIY article in this review thread. Especially reports about failures and service life for this new type of battery is needed.

:041: ...  Fred
« Last Edit: 30 July, 2011, 12:05:38 AM by FireBladerDk »

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
Re: Lithium Iron Battery Installation DIY Article
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
1% better acceleration? I'm in! Although i could probably do it cheaper by skipping lunch.....
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2011, 12:06:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nuff [+]
1% better acceleration? I'm in! Although i could probably do it cheaper by skipping lunch.....

Do both then! - will add 2%  :001:

Offline whisty4760

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A (2006)
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »

I'm seriously considering a change to the Lithium Battery as I've had problems with holding on to enough charge on the Lead Acid (lots of short journeys).  :012:

Two questions:
 - Anyone who has installed one of these had any problems since installation? It's been a few months now, so anything obvious should have come out.
 - The website blurb (see: http://www.carrotcycles.co.uk/SHORAI-POWERSPORT-LiFEPO4-BATTERIES/SHORAI-LFX14A2-BS12-14AH-12V-CASE-SIZE-2-/prod_1554.html ) states "ensure peak charging voltage doesn't exceed 14.4V". I normally record 14.6V at mid-revs (have a voltage meter wired into dash) - is that likely to be a problem?

Silver 2006 CBF1000, Engine Bars, Honda Colour Coded Panniers and Topbox, Stebel, MRA Vario, System 4, Knuckle Deflectors, Hi-Viz bullets and LED sides, Renthal Medium Road Bars, Oxford Heated Grips, Scottoiler, Hagon shock and fork springs.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »
Hi whisty4760,
the spec. sheet delivered with the Shoray battery I bought says max allowed peak charge voltage is 14.8V, so 14.6V is within specs.
 :002: ... Fred

Offline whisty4760

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »
Hi Fred
Thanks for the info.  :031:

I had the same reply from the retailer re 14.8 (apparently the 14.4 they quote is for max charger input).

Bought battery and charger from Carrot Cycles and will install over the weekend. I'm hoping that the faster charging rate and higher cranking output will solve the issues I've had with short battery life because of using the bike for short commutes.  :027:

Will let people know how it goes.

Silver 2006 CBF1000, Engine Bars, Honda Colour Coded Panniers and Topbox, Stebel, MRA Vario, System 4, Knuckle Deflectors, Hi-Viz bullets and LED sides, Renthal Medium Road Bars, Oxford Heated Grips, Scottoiler, Hagon shock and fork springs.

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »
Which size of battery did you buy? It seems to come in two sizes. Also I see you can get an 18amp battery in the same size. Any thoughts on whether that would be a  better buy?

Offline Bill cbf1000

• CBF Pro
  • Dad, I told you the chinpiece was too small !!
« Reply #7 on: 15 September, 2011, 06:00:05 PM »
Looking at this for when its time to replace my battery, but its says must not be used with trickle or maintenance charger  :110: but you can buy one designed for the battery from them  :005: so will have to give this a lot of thought  :027: before the wallet takes a  :192:

Offline whisty4760

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2011, 08:09:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Chelseafan [+]
Which size of battery did you buy? ...

Bought the same as Fireblader - LFX14A2. That's the one they recommend on the Shorai site. I did consider the 18amp, but wasn't sure if the extra money was worthwhile (or if it might possibly cause damage to the ECU, I'm no electrician! :034:).

Will be fitting tomorrow and will let people know how it's going after a few days running.

PS - On the charger front, the blurb with the battery says you shouldn't ever need to charge the battery if you ride regularly and don't leave it for months draining on an alarm. For an occasional charge, you can use a (cheap) ordinary charger, just not a trickle charger. I did actually buy the dedicated charger cos I'm a gadget freak!  :125:

Offline Chelseafan

• CBF Master
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by FireBladerDk [+]
Hi whisty4760,
the spec. sheet delivered with the Shoray battery I bought says max allowed peak charge voltage is 14.8V, so 14.6V is within specs.
 :002: ... Fred

Like Whisty I have a voltmeter. Just checking it over the last couple of days I find that my bike is often delivering 14.8v continuously and at times it peaks as high as 15.2v. This sems to happen most often when I roll off the throttle and the engine slows the bike and it occurs only for a few seconds.

I don't know if this is a problem but given that the Biffa is on the battery manufacturers list, one must assume that they know it is capable of delivering peaks over 15v.