Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Servingstop - awful reviews - are they true?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Goldfish

• CBF Pro
Servingstop - awful reviews - are they true?
« on: 29 June, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
I know this is not bike related but my neighbour has used Servingstop for his last car service and said it was fine. I thought of doing the same for my MX5 (which hardly gets used as my day to day transport is the bike) as its a good price, online booking, MOT same time, car picked up and dropped off etc etc - so whats not to like? Then I googled for reviews. And they are APPALLING. :005:

Anyone else got any experience? I'm now tempted just to pay main dealer prices because it sounds cheaper in the long run. BTW, I simply dont have time to do this stuff myself.

Richard

Offline jools691

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 GT ABS
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Servingstop - awful reviews - are they true?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
can't help you with that company, but when it comes to car MOT i've been using my local council depot as they are impartial & have no monetary gain by failing you, i was sick of getting ripped off & not trusting folk, my local council depot are very helpful & sometimes leanient as long as its not a safety issue. 

Online Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • aka: andyscbf1000 - Posts merged with Bifferman's
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by jools691 [+]
can't help you with that company, but when it comes to car MOT i've been using my local council depot as they are impartial & have no monetary gain by failing you, i was sick of getting ripped off & not trusting folk, my local council depot are very helpful & sometimes leanient as long as its not a safety issue.

Jools

Tell me more.  I never knew a local council had this facility or do you work for them or something.

Can anybody use, I am only in Leamington, if so how much and how/who do I contact.  I also share similar doubts to yours although I have to say less so with bike MOT chaps than with cars.

Andy

:149:

Offline jools691

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 GT ABS
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »
hi bifferman, no i don't work for them, as far as i'm aware most councils have workshops for their bin wagons ect. & its there where they do the MOT's, mainly to MOT there own fleet of vehicles but most will MOT the general publics cars, unfortunatley not bikes, my last MOT, last october was £50, i would suggest to contact your local council office & ask if they do MOT's, good luck, regards jools.

Offline gedspeed

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FAC GT
  • City / Town: Blackpool Lancs
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
The ambulance stations here does MOT`s and servicing too, In their workshops.

Ged

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
Any organisation with the correct inspection equipment and proper layout can do MOT's once they have a trained mechanic through the course and have been approved by VOSA. This includes bus operators, local councils, and as above.

The advantage of going to a MOT test station who don't do repairs is that they are less likely to be looking for work. The advantage of going to a garage that can repair your vehicle is that if it fails and is repaired without leaving the premises, you don't have to pay for a retest! So you pays your money.....
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Goldfish

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »
I've heard too that councils can do MOTs and feedback indicates they are less likely to fail just to gain repair work. In the past I've used a local MOT centre - all it does is MOTs not repairs - and I've never had problems.

Anyhoo, back to Servingstop - any experiences to share?

Offline johnstg2

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000F-AB
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Goldfish [+]
Anyhoo, back to Servingstop - any experiences to share?

I've never heard of them, but if the on-line reviews are as bad as you say, then why take the chance? There are plenty other folks out there who could do this work.
Boys never grow up - their toys just get more expensive.